It’s happened more this past year than ever in the previous twenty-one or twenty-two years…combined. At least, it feels like that.
Well, because until this past year, I guess my life was pretty safe, stable, and some might say…easy.
Ok. I said it.
I had an easy life.
Not that I was spoiled, but I was never in need of anything, or forced to do anything really scary or over my head.
Until I got married.
And moved to a big city.
Where I knew pretty much no one.
And for sure had no idea how to get around up here on my own.
All while trying to find a real job.
And then we decided to try to buy a house.
And finally ended up doing just that.
(insert mini celebration here)
But there are a lot of things that have been, and still are, overwhelming about all these exciting developments. In fact, sometimes I find myself feeling so overwhelmed that I don’t even know what’s overwhelming me…just that I’m in need of some sort of organization and solution to…well everything.
And in times like that, I make lists. Usually in my head, sometimes written down. So here goes:
1. We know pretty much nothing about fixing up a house. It’s frightening when both of us have no real opinion on a matter and yet have to make some sort of major decision anyway.
2. There’s a million and one paint colors out there, for each brand of paint. How will I ever choose which ones to buy and put on our walls?
3. We have very little furniture to fill all these new rooms.
4. We don’t have a big enough budget to buy furniture to fill all these new rooms…not even thrift store furniture. Yikes.
5. I still don’t have a REAL job.
6. Maybe my real job is being a freelancer. Maybe I should work on getting more jobs and more clients and try to really make this work…so many what ifs there.
7. WHY WON’T ANYONE HIRE ME????
8. How are we ever going to get packed up, loaded, and unloaded in this 110 degree heat?
9. Will I ever run again? Why am I too tired in the morning to get up to do this? Why is it too scary for a woman to run by herself at night? Stupid crime and stuff…
10. What will me not having a job mean when it comes time to start paying bills for the house?
11. What it Hubs has to start traveling more for work?
12. My kitchen is so messy. So small, and yet so messy.
13. My dining room is so messy. So totally and completely impossible to be used as a dining room right now.
14. My living room is so messy…you get the idea, right?
15. The new house is in a state of un-wallpapered walls, mostly-painted ceilings, messy floors, piles of tools and supplies, tarps, drop cloths and messes everywhere.
16. My car is still making a funny noise, and we can’t ever find time to take it anywhere to get looked at…
17. Hubs’ car is too hot to drive in this weather.
18. We REALLY don’t want to have to buy a new car right now…
19. We have nothing in our cabinets to make for dinner.
Ok, I’m done now.
Now that I’m finished organizing my overwhelmed-ness (?), I can move on to solving some stuff, right?
Or I can just sit back on the couch and wait for Hubs to come home and help me.
Or I can start wondering why he’s almost 30 minutes late getting home from work.
Oops, there I go again.
Note: Please don’t mistake this post as complaining about my life with Hubs. I’m blessed and I know it. I’m just feeling scattered and overwhelmed with all the stuff going on right now in my head. This was just my way of admitting to the world how un-put-together my life is…as I know that sometimes blogging about good stuff, conflict resolution, and happy times can make it seem like I have it all figured out…when in fact, I most certainly do not.
What about you, friends? What’s overwhelming you? What in your life is totally and completely unorganized right now? What messes are you cleaning up or trying to figure out how to hide if company suddenly comes over?